Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Death @ the Pump!




Petroleum....gasoline....fuel.... What been going on with the SUDDEN increase in gas prices? Soon we will all be riding out bikes everywhere. This is something that every American hopes can be answered sooner rather than later. Me being one of them. Who do we blame for this increase in ridiculousness? Bush? OPEC? Economy? War? There are many factors that go into it. As a concerned American I just hope that this trend will start to not only even out, but decline. We deserve it, right? I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love to ride my bike everywhere if it meant being no where on time and it would get me into great shape as well.

Something that congress has thought about doing is to tax the oil companies. This is interesting... According to political figure Ben Stein, this is not a good idea. He states the following, "If you start taxing the oil companies, what you are really doing is taxes the pension funds and the individuals who have stock in the oil companies and cutting down on their ability to retire. What you are really doing is saying to the 50% or so of the stock owners of oil companies who are retirees, look, you are not going to get your dividends anymore, you are not going to get your capital gains anymore, and for no if you were. It will not increase oil production. When I saw Obama say we're going to to get more oil production we're going to put a windfall profits tax on the oil companies, I thought, this guy is dumber than Jimmy Carter. I mean, what is he talking about?"

I guess we just need to play the dreadful waiting game and see what happens to these prices. We can only hope the take a nose dive to the ground.

No comments: